Ask Me Two Questions… or, It All Started with Mental Math…

 Ask me how I met Howie Hua. I wish I could say in sunny California, since he teaches math methods courses at Fresno State; or maybe at one of the math conferences he regularly attends across the country. Nope. I met Howie Hua via Twitter through one of his “Mental Math Monday” posts. Now, I follow him on Twitter, occasionally watch his watch his TikToks, and subscribe to his blogs. In a short time, I feel like I’ve met a colleague, who not only loves math but gently inspires teachers and students to grow as thinkers and doers. Howie’s ideas are modeled well and easily accessible.  Check out his site herehttps://howiehua.wordpress.com/

Here’s a wonderful teaching strategy from his site called … 

“ASK ME TWO QUESTIONS.” 

 After presenting content, Howie doesn’t ask the typical question, “Do you have any questions.” Instead, he reframes it as an imperative statement that suggests he knows you will - that thinkers always have questions. Wow. Such a powerful language shift that lifts engagement in classrooms. Try it. 

And, what about math instruction? 

Howie Hua reminds us about the math that surrounds us via visual images and memes. His “Mental Math Monday” challenges provide models of a simple routine that gets everyone talking. And there’s cats -  Fresno State cat math problems that suggest felines also think mathematically. 

I’ll end with a Howie himself. I encourage you to check out Howie’s website and see what else you find.  Mental Math Monday 











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SEL/NVC Letter from Joanie and Will

Morphological Instruction for Older Students

Black History Month as a Yearly Recommitment